[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
Americans enjoy more than three billion barbecues each year. And Labor Day weekend, with football parties and end-of-summer festivals, can be one of the busiest weekends for firing up the grill. But barbecuing can be dangerous, even deadly, if you are not careful.
The following tips can make your grilling experience safer:
1. When ready to barbecue, protect yourself by wearing a heavy apron and an oven mitt that fits high up over your forearm.
2. With gas grills, make sure the gas cylinder is always stored outside and away from your house. Make sure the valves are turned off when you are not using them. Check regularly for leaks in the connections using a soap and water mix that will show bubbles where gas escapes.
3. Barbecue grills should be kept on a level surface away from the house, garage, landscaping, and most of all, children.
4. For charcoal grills, only use starter fluids designed for those grills. Never use gasoline and use a limited amount of starter fluid. If the fire is too slow, rekindle with dry kindling and add more charcoal if necessary. Never add more liquid fuel or you could end up with a flash fire.
5. Be sure to soak the coals with water before you put them in the trash. Always remember that grills remain hot long after you are through barbecuing.
Is your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance up-to-date? Are the coverages adequate for your needs? For a free insurance check-up, please give one of the professional and caring agents at Mountain Lakes Insurance a call at 770-926-9444 or contact MLI.
Source: Insurance Information Institute; www.iii.org.[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]