Thanksgiving by the numbers
- Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day and Christmas Eve.
- In 2014, nearly four times as many home cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving as on a typical day.
- In 2014, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 1,730 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving, the peak day for such fires.
- Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in cooking fires and fire deaths.
- Cooking equipment was involved in almost half (48%) of all reported home fires and civilian and tied with heating equipment for the second leading cause of home fire deaths.
Source: NFPA’s Fire Analysis & Research Division